As if you needed more proof that this is a serious problem that needs to be addressed. Two females walking in the dark with the false protection of walking with another person are the victims of rape, yet again. This horrible sexual assault occurred on the 6,000 block of South Robertson, just 3 blocks behind the freshman residence, Monroe Hall.
“A” marks the spot of the occurrence
TUPD leaves us with this advice:
TAKE A STAND AGAINST CRIME
1. BE AWARE of your surroundings at all times.
2. DO NOT resist an armed aggressor.
3. TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS. If it does not feel right, call for help.
4. BE AWARE that risk increases in secluded areas.
5. BE A GOOD WITNESS. Describe exactly what you observe with as many details as possible. Give complete descriptions such as sex, race, height, weight, hair color, clothing, etc.
1. “Be aware”– this is smart, but what good does it do when your attacker comes out of nowhere with a gun?
2. It does not sound like they resisted their attacker– they were still sexually assaulted.
3. Trust your instincts, call for help– perhaps they were receiving threats to their life if they pulled out a cell phone to call 911.
4. So, these females were not walking in a secluded area– within in three of blocks of two major universities.
5. They were good witnesses offering the police a detailed description of the perpetrator.
None of these tips address the horror of the aftermath of something like this happening to you, to your friend, to your boyfriend/girlfriend, your daughter, your son, your niece etc. Tulane, TUPD, NOPD, you are not doing enough to protect your students.
IT’S NOT ENOUGH!!!
Here is a screenshot of the email itself: